Translate

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

True Worshiper

We went to a local church last Lord’s Day with two of our four children in Davis, California. Pastor’s sermon on that morning was very touching deep down in my heart.

During praise worship, a man screamed loudly and roamed around the aisle with his arms lifted up high. He did this twice. I thought his act must have come from the joy of the praising God, but my children’s response was a little different. They said the man must have considered so as not disturbing other worshipers present there. After worship, I shook hands with him.

On my way home, I pondered upon why I have no guts to express the joy of worship freely as the man did. I am even reluctant to raise my hands up when others do because I was raised in the church and taught to worship God solemnly and silently.

Being honest with you, any act of worship going beyond this criterion has been viewed as ‘fanatic’ or ‘show off’ act to me. Having said so, I have no intention to judge other people who worship God in a different manner based on my bigotry if I have.

We all need to hear from the Word of God in all aspects of our Christian life.

What does the Bible say about the proper act of worship to God?


Our Lord says, “But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, Who is unseen. Then your Father, Who sees what is done in secret, will reward you” in Matthew 6:6.

And the Lord says, God is Spirit, and His worshipers must worship in Spirit and in Truth In John 4:24.


He didn’t say, ‘worship solemnly and silently’ that I do, rather He said, in “Spirit and Truth.”

Then who is ‘worshiper in Spirit and Truth’?

It can be best interpreted;

“A man worships God in spirit, when, under the influence of the Holy Spirit, he brings all his affections, appetites, and desires to the throne of God; and he worships Him in truth, when every purpose and passion of his heart, and when every act of his religious worship, is guided and regulated by the Word of God both internal and external; with both the bodies and souls of worshipers; and both private and public; in the closet, in the family, and in the Church of God; as prayer, praise, attendance on the word and ordinances.”

We worship God Who wishes us to worship in Spirit and Truth.

Let’s worship Him in His way, neither in my way, nor your way,  nor in Presbyterian way, nor Pentecostal way, nor Methodist way, nor Anglican way, nor Roman Catholic way, nor Baptist way, nor pagan way.

Amen and amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment