We read in, John 5:17;
“My Father is always at His work to this very day, and I, too, am working.”
God finished all His creative work on the seventh day, and rested from what He had done; yet He did not cease from working at all, but has continued to work ever since, on Sabbath days, as well as on other days; in upholding and governing the world, in continuing the species of beings, and all creatures in their being; in providing for them, and in dispensing the blessings of His providence to them. He makes the sun to shine, rolls the stars, causes the grass, the tree, the flower to grow by causing rain.
As God does good on that day; as He is not bound by the Law which requires His creatures to rest on that day, so “I” do the same. The Law on that subject may be dispensed with, also, in My case, for “the Son of man is Lord of the Sabbath.” In this reply it is implied that He was equal with God from two circumstances:
1. Because He called God His Father, John 5:18.
2. Because He claimed the same exemption from Law which God did, asserting that the law of the Sabbath did not bind Him or His Father, thus showing that He had a right to impose and repeal Laws in the same manner as God. He Who has a right to do this must be God.
The Son, Jesus Christ is working as His Father in the following work until the New Heaven and New Earth begins.
1. Creative Work : Christ maintains the work of God from the foundation of the world.
“The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His being, sustaining all things by His powerful word.”
2. Redemptive Work: Christ was slain from the foundation of the world and became the Great High Priest in the Heavenly Sanctuary.
“After He had provided purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.”
3. Messianic King: He will rule the earth as the King of kings and the Lord of lords.
“To him who overcomes and does My will to the end, I will give authority over the nations. He will rule them with an iron scepter; He will dash them to pieces like pottery - just as I have received authority from My Father.”