Translate

Thursday, April 25, 2013

My Redeemer Lives


Job 19:1-29

Job
1Then Job replied:
2“How long will you torment me
and crush me with words?
3Ten times now you have reproached me;
shamelessly you attack me.
4If it is true that I have gone astray,
my error remains my concern alone.
5If indeed you would exalt yourselves above me
and use my humiliation against me,
6then know that God has wronged me
and drawn His net around me.
7“Though I cry, ‘Violence!’ I get no response;
though I call for help, there is no justice.
8He has blocked my way so I cannot pass;
He has shrouded my paths in darkness.
9He has stripped me of my honor
and removed the crown from my head.
10He tears me down on every side till I am gone;
He uproots my hope like a tree.
11His anger burns against me;
He counts me among his enemies.
12His troops advance in force;
they build a siege ramp against me
and encamp around my tent.
13“He has alienated my family from me;
my acquaintances are completely estranged from me.
14My relatives have gone away;
my closest friends have forgotten me.
15My guests and my female servants count me a foreigner;
they look on me as on a stranger.
16I summon my servant, but he does not answer,
though I beg him with my own mouth.
17My breath is offensive to my wife;
I am loathsome to my own family.
18Even the little boys scorn me;
when I appear, they ridicule me.
19All my intimate friends detest me;
those I love have turned against me.
20I am nothing but skin and bones;
I have escaped only by the skin of my teeth.a
21“Have pity on me, my friends, have pity,
for the Hand of God has struck me.
22Why do you pursue me as God does?
Will you never get enough of my flesh?

23“Oh, that my words were recorded,
that they were written on a scroll,
24that they were inscribed with an iron tool onb lead,
or engraved in rock forever!

25I know that my Redeemerc lives,
and that in the end He will stand on the earth.d
26And after my skin has been destroyed,
yete inf my flesh I will see God;
27I myself will see Him
with my own eyes—I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!

28“If you say, ‘How we will hound him,
since the root of the trouble lies in him,g 
29you should fear the sword yourselves;
for wrath will bring punishment by the sword,
and then you will know that there is judgment.h 


Verse 25

“I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that in the end He will stand on the earth.”

Hebrew Text


Any attempt to establish the true meaning of this passage is almost hopeless. The words have been understood very differently; some say that they refer to the resurrection of the body, and the redemption of the human race by Jesus Christ; while others, contend that they refer only to Job's restoration to health, family comforts, and general prosperity, after the present trial is ended.

The truth is this: Job was under the Inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and spoke prophetically. Now, whether we allow that the passage refers to the general resurrection and the redemption by Christ, or to Job's restoration to health, happiness, and prosperity, this principle is equally necessary.

1. In those times no man could speak so clearly concerning the general resurrection and the redemption by Jesus Christ as Job unless especially inspired for this very purpose.
2. Job's restoration to health and happiness, was totally improbable to himself all the way through and, in every sense, impossible, except to the Almighty Power of God, that it must be foretold by direct inspiration.

Which was most likely to be the subject of this declaration, the general resurrection and redemption by Christ; or the restoration of Job to health and affluence? If we look only to the general importance of these things, this question may be soon decided; for the doctrine of human redemption, and the general resurrection to an eternal life, are of infinitely greater importance than anything that could affect the personal welfare of Job.

The prophecy uttered by Job was not designed to point out the future prosperity of himself; but rather the future Redemption of mankind by Jesus Christ, and the general resurrection of the human race. After what has been stated above, a short paraphrase on the words of the text will be all that is necessary to be added. I know, ידעתי yadati, My Redeemer, גאלי goali, my Kinsman, he whose right it was among the ancient Hebrews to redeem the forfeited heritages belonging to the family, to vindicate its honor, and to avenge the death of any of his relatives by slaying the murderer; (Leviticus 25:25; Numbers 35:12; Ruth 3:13). 

But here it must refer to Christ, Who has truly the right of redemption, being of the same kindred, Who was born of woman, flesh of flesh and bone of our bone. Lives חי chai, is the living One, Who has the keys of hell and death: the Creator and Lord of the spirits of all flesh, and the principle and support of all life. And that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth. The latter day, אחרון acharon, the latter day, or time, when God comes to judgment; or finally, or at last, or in the last time, or latter days, as the Gospel is termed, He shall be manifested in the flesh. He shall stand, יקום yakum, He shall arise, or stand up, i.e., to give sentence in judgment: or He himself shall arise from the dust, as the passage has been understood by some to refer to the resurrection of Christ from the dead. Upon the earth, על עפר al aphar, over the dead, or those who are reduced to dust. This is the meaning of עפר aphar in Psalm 30:9 : What profit is there in my blood when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust (i.e., the dead) praise thee? He shall arise over the dust - over them who sleep in the dust, whom He shall also raise up.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment