Translate

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

JESUS Is The Mediator of The New Covenant





Jeremiah 31:1-40 NIV






1 “At that time,” 

Declares The LORD



“I Will Be The GOD of all the families of Israel, and they will be MY people.”



2This Is What The LORD Says:


“The people who survive the sword
will find favor in the wilderness;
I Will Come To Give rest to Israel.”



3The LORD Appeared to us in the past, 

Saying:


“I Have Loved you with an Everlasting Love;






I Have Drawn you with Unfailing Kindness.






4I Will Build you Up again,
and you, Virgin Israel, will be rebuilt.
Again you will take up your timbrels
and go out to dance with the joyful.
5Again you will plant vineyards
on the hills of Samaria;
the farmers will plant them
and enjoy their fruit.
6There will be a day when watchmen cry out
on the hills of Ephraim,
‘Come, let us go up to Zion,
to The LORD our GOD.’ ”


7This Is What The LORD Says:


“Sing with joy for Jacob;
shout for the foremost of the nations.
Make your praises heard, and say,
LORD, Save YOUR people,
the remnant of Israel.’
8See, I Will Bring them from the land of the north
and Gather them from the ends of the earth.
Among them will be the blind and the lame,
expectant mothers and women in labor;
a great throng will return.
9They will come with weeping;
they will pray as I bring them back.
I Will Lead them beside streams of water
on a level path where they will not stumble,

Because I AM Israel’s FATHER,
and Ephraim is MY firstborn son.


10“Hear The WORD of The LORD, you nations;
proclaim it in distant coastlands:


‘HE WHO Scattered Israel Will Gather them

and Will Watch Over HIS flock like a Shepherd.’


11For The LORD Will Deliver Jacob
and Redeem them from the hand of those stronger than they.
12They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion;
they will rejoice in the bounty of The LORD
the grain, the new wine and the olive oil,
the young of the flocks and herds.
They will be like a well-watered garden,
and they will sorrow no more.
13Then young women will dance and be glad,
young men and old as well.
I Will Turn their mourning into gladness;
I Will Give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
14I Will Satisfy the priests with abundance,
and MY people will be filled with MY Bounty,”



Declares The LORD.



15This Is What The LORD Says:


“A voice is heard in Ramah,
mourning and great weeping,
Rachel weeping for her children
and refusing to be comforted,
because they are no more.”


16This Is What The LORD Says:


“Restrain your voice from weeping
and your eyes from tears,
for your work will be rewarded,”




Declares The LORD.



“They will return from the land of the enemy.
17So there is hope for your descendants,”


Declares The LORD.



Your children will return to their own land.

18“I Have Surely Heard Ephraim’s moaning:

‘YOU Disciplined me like an unruly calf,
and I have been disciplined.
Restore me, and I will return,
Because YOU Are The LORD my GOD.

19After I strayed,
I repented;
after I came to understand,
I beat my breast.
I was ashamed and humiliated
because I bore the disgrace of my youth.’

20Is Not Ephraim MY dear son,
the child in whom I Delight?
Though I Often Speak Against him,
I Still Remember him.
Therefore MY Heart Yearns For him;
I Have Great Compassion For him,”


Declares The LORD.



21“Set up road signs;
put up guideposts.
Take note of the highway,
the road that you take.
Return, Virgin Israel,
return to your towns.
22How long will you wander,
unfaithful Daughter Israel?
The LORD Will Create a new thing on earth—
the woman will return tob the man.”


23This is what The LORD Almighty, The God of Israel, 
says: 


“When I bring them back from captivity,c the people in the land of Judah and in its towns will once again use these words: ‘The LORD Bless you, you prosperous city, you sacred mountain.’ 24People will live together in Judah and all its towns—farmers and those who move about with their flocks. 25I Will Refresh the weary and Satisfy the faint.”

26At this I awoke and looked around. My sleep had been pleasant to me.

27 “The days are coming,” 

Declares The LORD



“when I Will Plant the kingdoms of Israel and Judah with the offspring of people and of animals. 28Just as I Watched Over them to Uproot and Tear Down, and to Overthrow, Destroy and Bring disaster, so I Will Watch Over them to Build and to Plant,” 


Declares The LORD. 



29“In those days people will no longer say,
‘The parents have eaten sour grapes,
and the children’s teeth are set on edge.’
30Instead, everyone will die for their own sin; whoever eats sour grapes—their own teeth will be set on edge.



31 “The days are coming,” 

Declares The LORD,



“when I Will Make a New Covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.






32 It will not be like The Covenant

I Made with their ancestors

When I Took them by the hand

to Lead them out of Egypt,

because they broke MY Covenant,

though I Was a Husband to them, 



Declares The LORD.



33“This Is The Covenant I Will Make with the people of 

Israel after that time,” 


Declares The LORD.



“I Will Put MY Law in their minds


And Write it on their hearts.


I Will Be their GOD,


And they will be MY people.







34No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know The LORD,’
because they will all know ME,
from the least of them to the greatest,”







Declares The LORD.



“For I Will Forgive their wickedness

and Will Remember their sins no more.”




35This Is What The LORD Says:


HE WHO Appoints the sun
to shine by day,
WHO Decrees the moon and stars
to shine by night,
WHO Stirs up the sea
so that its waves roar—
The LORD ALMIGHTY Is HIS Name:
36“Only if these Decrees vanish from MY Sight,”

Declares The LORD,


“will Israel ever cease
being a nation Before ME.”


Declares The LORD.



37This Is What The LORD Says:


“Only if the heavens above can be measured
and the foundations of the earth below be searched out
Will I Reject all the descendants of Israel
because of all they have done,”


38The days are coming,” 

Declares The LORD



“when this city will be rebuilt for ME from the Tower of Hananel to the Corner Gate.39The measuring line will stretch from there straight to the hill of Gareb and then turn to Goah. 40The whole valley where dead bodies and ashes are thrown, and all the terraces out to the Kidron Valley on the east as far as the corner of the Horse Gate, will be Holy To The LORD. The city will never again be uprooted or demolished.”












This chapter continues the subject of the preceding in a beautiful vision represented at a distant period. GOD Is Introduced Expressing HIS Continual Regard for Israel, and Promising to Restore them to their land and liberty, Jeremiah 31:1-5 Immediately heralds appear, proclaiming on Mount Ephraim the arrival of the great year of jubilee, and summoning the people to gather unto Zion, Jeremiah 31:6.


Upon which GOD Resumes the speech; and Makes such Gracious Promises both of Leading them tenderly by the way, and Making them happy in their own land, that all the nations of the world are called upon to consider with deep attention this great salvation, Jeremiah 31:7-14. The scene is then diversified by a very happy invention. Rachel, the mother of Joseph and Benjamin, is represented as risen from her tomb, in a city of Benjamin near Jerusalem, looking about for her children, and bitterly lamenting their fate, as none of them are to be seen in the land of their fathers, Jeremiah 31:15. But she is consoled with the assurance that they are not lost, and that they shall in due time be restored, Jeremiah 31:16Jeremiah 31:17.


To this another tender and beautiful scene immediately succeeds. Ephraim, (often put for the Ten tribes), comes in view. He laments his past errors, and expresses the most earnest desires of reconciliation; upon which GOD, as a tender Parent, immediately Forgives him, Jeremiah 31:18-20. The virgin of Israel is then directed to prepare for returning home, Jeremiah 31:21Jeremiah 31:22; and the vision closes with a promise of abundant peace and security to Israel and Judah in the latter days, Jeremiah 31:23-26. The blessed condition of Israel under The MESSIAH'S Reign is then beautifully contrasted with their afflicted state during the general dispersion, Jeremiah 31:27Jeremiah 31:28.


In the remaining part of the chapter the promises to the posterity of Jacob of the impartial administration of justice, increasing peace and prosperity, the universal diffusion of righteousness, and stability in their own land after a general restoration in Gospel times, are repeated, enlarged on, and illustrated by a variety of beautiful figures, Jeremiah 31:29-40.









No comments:

Post a Comment