Colossians 3:1-23 NIV
Living as Those Made Alive in CHRIST
1Since, then, you have been raised with CHRIST, set your hearts on things above, where CHRIST Is, Seated at the Right Hand of GOD. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3For you died, and your life is now hidden with CHRIST in GOD. 4When CHRIST, WHO Is your life, appears, then you also will appear with HIM in Glory.
5Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6Because of these, the Wrath of GOD is coming.b 7You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but CHRIST is all, and is in all.
12Therefore, as GOD'S chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as The LORD Forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
15Let the peace of CHRIST rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16Let the message of CHRIST dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the Name of The LORD JESUS, giving thanks to GOD The FATHER through HIM.
Instructions for Christian Households
18Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in The LORD.
19Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.
20Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases The LORD.
22Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for The LORD. 23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for The LORD, not for human masters, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from The LORD as a reward. It is The LORD CHRIST you are serving. 25Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism.
In the previous chapter, the apostle had showed what a true Christian ought not to follow after. He had warned the Colossians against the dangers of false philosophy, and the doctrines of erroneous teachers.
In this chapter, he teaches them what they ought to pursue and to seek. He therefore enjoins various duties in the different relations of life, which they ought to perform in such a way as to show that true religion had a controlling influence over their hearts.
He specifies the following:
(1) The duty of setting the affections on things above; Colossians 3:1-4. They were risen with CHRIST Colossians 2:12, they were dead to sin Colossians 3:3; they were soon to be like CHRIST Colossians 3:4, and they should, therefore, fix their affections on heavenly things.
(2) the duty of mortifying their corrupt passions and carnal propensities; Colossians 3:5-8.
(3) the duty of speaking the truth, since they had put off the old man with deeds; Colossians 3:9-11.
(4) the duty of kindness, gentleness, charity, and the spirit of peace; Colossians 3:12-15.
(5) the duty of edifying one another by psalms and songs of praise; Colossians 3:16-17,
(6) The duty of wives, Colossians 3:18;
(7) of husbands, Colossians 3:19;
(8) of children, Colossians 3:20;
(9) of fathers, Colossians 3:21;
(10) of servants, Colossians 3:22-25.
There is a very striking similarity between this chapter and Ephesians 5; 6.